Input driver on 1.15.1 vs. 1.19.6

Software Orchestration softorchestra at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 03:19:52 UTC 2019

 On Friday, October 11, 2019, 7:38:57 PM PDT, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> if your device has a /dev/input/eventX node anyway, then yes, evdev is
> the way to go. You may  not need any modification at all, evdev may do
> the trick.

I think I'm starting to understand how all of this starts up, the XF86ModuleData has the entry to call for the driver. Then the PreInit name is located in the InputDriverRec  which is passed with xf86AddInputDriver, that in turn triggers the PreInit which then receives the InputInfoPtr which a few things are assigned to, one being the main Proc that xorg will send events (pInfo->device_control). That InputInfo struct is used to open the device with EvdevOpenDevice. Some other stuff is done in the PreInit, but after that, I'm guessing that all the interaction between the driver and xorg is done through that Proc.

Does that sounds correct?

Thanks so much, I am starting to modify the evdev code. And just to be clear, I'm not really re-writing the driver, I'm just taking what's there and putting it inside this new framework. The client will thank me in the end, unless I fall on my face...LOL