Input driver on 1.15.1 vs. 1.19.6

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Fri Oct 11 04:35:44 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 02:27:36AM +0000, Software Orchestration wrote:

>   Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote: > I have no idea who decided what releases to list there as supported, but X.Org
> > certainly isn't supporting all those releases upstream - though some downstream
> > distros may be doing so. X.Org itself is mainly maintaining the 1.20 series now:
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/branches
>
> I figured you were on this list...thanks for replying.
> My question is first trying to understand what I need to get this working on Ubuntu 18.04. Currently the Xorg server is 1.19.6 and I don't see that changing until 20.04. They will still have 1 more year on 18.04 as it's a 5 year LTS I believe.
> First I'm just trying to understand if interfaces changed, if legacy works at all, or what the differences are so I can isolate the problem and fix it.
> If an input driver was brought up to 1.19.x, would it be likely to run on 1.20.x?
> I think I could get 1.20 on Ubuntu 19.08, do you know if that's the case?

I'd argue that any input driver that worked in the past should still work
with current X servers, provided that you switch the SIGIO bits over to
handle input threads instead.

There are very few features that have truly been removed from input drivers
such as access to the screen dimensions etc. Can't remember when this happen
but my gut feeling is that if it worked on 1.15 it'll probably work on
1.19.

Cheers,
   Peter