grab mouse wheel with XI2

Jonathan Michalon johndescs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 09:39:27 UTC 2019

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Le Thu, 7 Nov 2019 09:52:48 +1000,
Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> a écrit :
> Unfortunately that is your only option, not being able to grab the
> mouse wheel events was an unfortunate and unintended side-effect of
> the smooth scrolling.

Is there maybe some way then to disable smooth scrolling? I checked
with runtime tools like libinput or xinput but didn't manage to do it.
Also I tried to switch to evdev for the sake of completeness and be
sure that indeed libinput was the emitter but same issue.

Because I see several drawbacks to permanently actively grab the
pointer:
  - Seems we have to follow the actual devices we want to grab as
    "The fake deviceids of XIAllDevices or XIAllMasterDevices will
    result in a BadDevice error." (your blog post XI2 recipes, Part 5).
  - It seems we have to re-grab each time a popup or dropdown etc. is
    open which is painful (but logical).
  - I didn't manage for now to deal with XIAllowEvents (but that's
    probably due to my low knownledge of X.org stuff).

Looks like it's sad to trigger events and then workaround to kill them.
Maybe worth adding an option somewhere? If this is possible at all I
could manage to provide a patch somehow…

Thanks again,

--
Jonathan Michalon