Changing key repeat behaviour for individual xinput devices

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Mar 14 22:54:13 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 05:19:21PM +0100, Timo Paulssen wrote:
> Hello xorgers,
>
> I recently got a small bluetooth keyboard. I'd like to try to use it as
> a secondary keyboard for things like shortcuts, but my first experiment
> was to turn it into a midi keyboard with a combination of PortMIDI and
> xinput float + xinput test. Unfortunately, it has a pretty aggressive
> key repetition rate set up.
>
> The right way to fix this would normally be xset, but IIUC that'd change
> the behavior of all connected keyboards. xinput has a flag
> --get-feedbacks that gets me an XkbdFeedbackClass with
> "global_auto_repeat" and percent/pitch/duration properties. I'd assume
> that's the right thing to change, but it looks like the only classes
> xinput's commandline utility lets me change are ptr-feedback and
> integer-feedback, which seems to be about acceleration and scaling or
> something like that?
>
> Will I have to write a little snippet of C to change these particular

there is/was an "xkbset" utility, not sure if that supports per-device flags
though. there's also the option of setting a custom keymap for that device
(setxkbmap and xkbcomp have deviceid options) but paging in *how* to disable
autorepeat through an xkb map is beyond my mental capabilities right now.

Cheers,
   Peter