Fault reports and bug fixes and expectations

Wheatley, Martin R Martin.Wheatley at ukaea.uk
Mon Jun 17 10:31:14 UTC 2019

Hi,

We use Solaris (10 as it happens NOT 11 .... But that's another discussion!) for the primary control and data acquisition of the JET machine - currently the world's largest nuclear fusion experiment  (https://www.euro-fusion.org/).

>From time to time X applications running on sessions in our control room will fail to open an X11 display. Recently, after years of looking, we finally managed to identify the cause of these failures and reported the problem (along with a proposed -and quite trivial - fix) to Oracle. The Oracle 'sustaining' engineers are unable/unwilling to address/investigate the issue directly because "Oracle policy indicates Sustaining will not fork from the upstream source to change this on our own, but will provide any changes applied upstream in a future Solaris 11.4 SRU."

I have reported the issue on the Xorg GIT repository  (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xauth/issues/2).

Engineers in our control room really would like the action they request to complete rather than suffer from a random failure (as identified in the bug) so my question is:

If Oracle will only take the Xorg source rather (as opposed to fixing it - or even discussing a fix with Xorg - and pushing the fix back to Xorg) who and when will the issue be fixed so that I can put pressure on Oracle to generate a patch from the new Xorg code thus improving  the reliability of my control room operation? After all, do you want to be on a plane when the pilot says "we pushed the button to lower the undercarriage - most times the wheels do come down but sometime they might now!"???

Thank you
Martin Wheatley

[UKAEA Logo]<https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-atomic-energy-authority>

Martin Wheatley
Solaris Systems Administrator, JET CODAS&IT
Providing services on behalf of United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority
Culham Science Centre, Abingdon, OX14 3DB, UK
Tel. +44 (0)1235 464784
Mob.
Email: Martin.Wheatley at ukaea.uk
[cid:image012.png at 01D52500.2AD3F7E0]<https://www.facebook.com/CulhamCentreforFusionEnergy/>  [cid:image013.png at 01D52500.2AD3F7E0] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/ccfe/>   [cid:image014.png at 01D52500.2AD3F7E0] <http://twitter.com/fusionenergy>   [cid:image015.png at 01D52500.2AD3F7E0] <https://www.youtube.com/user/CulhamFusionEnergy>   [cid:image016.png at 01D52500.2AD3F7E0] <https://www.instagram.com/culhamfusionenergy/>
The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in the message only. It is forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without the written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and then delete it, so that we can ensure it does not occur in the future.