XOrg in Debian10/Buster not usable with AMD Duron / Matrox G400

Markus Hiereth post at hiereth.de
Fri Jul 26 10:55:55 UTC 2019

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net wrote on Tue Jul 23 02:23:17 UTC 2019

> Which BIOS version does your G400 have? I upgraded mine to 2.1 about
> 10 years ago. I have the software that did the upgrade if you need
> it. It doesn't seem available from matrox.com any more.
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Hardware/Gfxcard/mgabios.zip

I do not know how to find out the version of the VGA BIOS so
far. The VGA BIOS is certainly the original one.

Thank You for the bios-zip-file. I haven't used it so far as this is a
delicate thing to do.

I still hope some log file reveals what's going wrong and I follow as
well the first advise, compiling the mga driver on my own. In theory,
using module-assistant should make it simple for Debian users. But so
far, module-assistant produces confusing output (lists a module named
"mga-vid" whereas lsmod and the log files show "mga" and the name of the
debian-source-package is xserver-xorg-video-mga.

Best regards
Markus