XOrg in Debian10/Buster not usable with AMD Duron / Matrox G400

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Jul 22 18:22:04 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-07-21 at 23:05 +0200, Markus Hiereth wrote:

> > If you have a second machine, can you try to launch Xorg from gdb? You
> > will need to ssh into the machine and su to root first, but gdb is
> > generally much better at decoding backtraces than either glibc's
> > backtrace function or libunwind. It should be just:
>
> apparently I am able to run gdb locally on my computer.

The reason I mentioned ssh is: if you start X under gdb from the
console, the X server will switch away to a new virtual terminal while
it initializes. Then, when it crashes, it will halt in gdb; but you
won't be able to switch virtual terminals back to gdb, because X has
put the vt into process mode, and is now halted under gdb so it can't
run the code to release the vt back to the kernel.

- ajax