can RECORD extension capture XKEYBOARD events?

zmqdev zmqdev at amitego.com
Mon Jul 1 07:49:03 UTC 2019

Hello,

I already capture key presses with the RECORD extension.

I want to convert the keycodes to correct utf-8 representation with
libxkbcommon.

For that to work, I need to keep track of the state of the keyboard,
which means capturing XKB events and feeding those to the XKB context.

However, the RECORD extension doesn't seem to see the XKB events.

Even when selecting for all extensions events (I don't know whether XKB
events are 'delivered' or 'device' events)

     xcb_record_range_t rr[] = {
         {.device_events = {XCB_KEY_PRESS, XCB_KEY_RELEASE}}, // 2-3
         {.device_events = {64, 127}}, // all extensions.
         {.delivered_events = {64, 127}}, // all extensions.
     };

and an XKB client like interactive-x11 from libxkbcommon/test, I get
only XInputExtension events, but no XKB events.

I had a quick look at xorg-server/record/record.c, but cannot find any
obvious reason why RECORD would exclude XKEYBOARD.

So my question: does the RECORD extension also capture XKB events? Or is
it on a TODO list somewhere?

See also
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56701449/how-to-capture-xkeyboard-events-with-the-record-extension

Thanks.

amitego engineering GmbH
Balinger Straße 37A
D-70567 Stuttgart

Fon: +49 711 78 78 166 - 0

Visit http://www.amitego.com<http://www.amitego.com>

This message and any files or documents attached are strictly confidential or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the individual or entity named. If you are not the named addressee or have received this email in error, please inform the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy or disclose it or use it for any purpose. Please also note that transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.