Xorg setting low resolution with double HDMI output despite forcing to full HD

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 21 12:05:36 UTC 2019

Francesco Nwokeka composed on 2019-02-21 10:45 (UTC+0100):

>     I have an Intel NUC with dual HDMI output. Recently I've been experiencing
> a problem with the output resolution of the screens. When booting the system i
> get screen resolution inferior to what I actually try to set via .xinitrc file:

> xrandr --output $(xrandr -q | grep "\sconnected\s" | cut -f1 -d" ") --mode
> 1920x1080

Note in the log the string onnected does not appear. AFAICT, only the use of xf86-video-intel DDX
driver, which last had an official release in 2015, causes that omission.

> local/xf86-video-intel 1:2.99.917+859+g33ee0c3b-1 (xorg-drivers)

> Does anyone have any idea to what might be the problem/solution?

Easier solution is to purge xf86-video-intel, which when server version is 1.17.0 or higher, should
automagically cause utilization of the newer modesetting DDX driver on X restart or reboot. Other
option is to reconfigure /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf to specify driver modesetting. The DDX
modesetting driver does not have its own package. Instead it's the default, provided by the server
package.

When I want to specify modes via xrandr, my script goes in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/setup. My
choice of setup to contain the xrandr script is purely arbitrary.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/