xorg Digest, Vol 163, Issue 8

akshay chavan akshay_chavan2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 11:35:08 UTC 2019

 Hi Chris,
My xKeyboard-config is version 2.23.1-1 (so it is the most recent version). This keyboard issue seems pretty common for Nedit users, which is why Nedit lists it in the "Help->Problems/Defects" option. I am quoting the text here:
QUOTE
P: Dialogs don't automatically get keyboard focus when they pop up.

S: Most X Window managers allow you to choose between two categories of keyboard focus models: pointer focus, and explicit focus.  Pointer focus means that as you move the mouse around the screen, the window under the mouse automatically gets the keyboard focus.  NEdit users who use this focus model should set "Popups Under Pointer" in the Default Settings sub menu of the preferences menu in NEdit.  Users with the explicit focus model, in some cases, may have problems with certain dialogs, such as Find and Replace.  In MWM this is caused by the mwm resource startupKeyFocus being set to False (generally a bad choice for explicit focus users). NCDwm users should use the focus model "click" instead of "explicit", again, unless you have set it that way to correct specific problems, this is the appropriate setting for most explicit focus users.

UNQUOTE

So I followed this advice and tried to set the "Popups under pointer" option, but it was selected by default. Then why am I facing this problem? Anyway, I unselect it and restart Nedit, but this does NOT solve the problem. So I set the "popups under pointer" option AGAIN and restart Nedit. This time, It works FINE and all dialogs automatically have keyboard focus when opened. HOWEVER, when I open a second file in a second tab, the problem resurfaces.

Is this a bug in NEdit?
Thanks,Akshay
    On Saturday, February 16, 2019, 4:50:26 AM GMT+5:30, Chris Sorenson <csoren at isd.net> wrote:

 On 02/15/2019 11:48 AM, akshay chavan wrote:

> Hi,
> Nedit's "version" option shows the following information:
> NEdit 5.6
> Jul 5, 2010
>
>      Built on: Win32, x86-64, GNU C
>      Built at: Jun 30 2015, 16:55:01
>    With Motif: (Untested) 2.3.4 [@(#)Motif Version 2.3.4]
> Running Motif: 2.3 [unknown]
>        Server: The Cygwin/X Project 12001000
>        Visual: 24-bit TrueColor (ID 0x21, Default)
>        Locale: en_US
>
> I did not build NEdit from source. I simply installed it through
> Cygwin.
>
> Can you offer any suggestions to deal with this problem?
>
> Regards,Akshay

Hmm, it's probably a keyboard error then, are you using a funky
keyboard? What version of xkeyboard-config do you have? You'll want to
make sure it's the most recent version, from February 2018:

https://cygwin.com/packages/x86_64/xkeyboard-config/

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig/