libxft: BGRA glyphs (color emoji) and scaling support merge request

mawww at kakoune.org mawww at kakoune.org
Sun Dec 1 23:47:19 UTC 2019

Hello,

I have created a merge request at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libxft/merge_requests/1 that
adds support for displaying bgra glyphs as provided by freetype. This
includes scaling support (as those glyphs are usually only provided in
high definition) for them.

I have been running my system with this modified version for a month
now, with only a few issues (that are fixed in the current version of
the request), such as the scaling code being triggered to slant bitmap
fonts. I have not noticed anything wrong since.

This enables support for color emojis in xft based software, such as
urxvt, st, pango with the xft backend, and emacs.

I was under the impression that merge requests on gitlab were the
preferred contribution method, but if needed I can post the change on
this mailing list.

Best regards.

Maxime Coste.