XOrg in Debian10/Buster not usable with AMD Duron / Matrox G400

Markus Hiereth post at hiereth.de
Thu Aug 1 06:33:40 UTC 2019

Hello Xorg-Team,

yesterday, I managed to update the VGA BIOS of the graphic card (using
FreeDOS which was, in contrast to Microsoft DOS 6.2, able to execute the
ubiosdos file from the Matrox utilities) recommended by Felix and as
well updated the main board BIOS.

This did not solve the problem. The X server still fails to start (black
screen) and returns to the text terminal. The logs notice a segmentation
fault.

Attached:

a) logfile Xorg-deb10-190731a_0.log which
- logs a start attempt introduced by systemd
- uses a personal xorg.config file
- uses the mga module compiled on my own

b) logfile Xorg-deb10-190731b_0.log which
- logs a start attempt introduced by systemd
- without xorg.config file, using xorg defaults and hardware
  recognition procedures
- uses the mga module from Debian 10

c) a diff-file between the log file with the differences between
- the start procedure with Debian 10 (after upgrading from Debian 9
  that failed with MGA driver version 1.6.5) which fails with MGA
  driver version 2.0.0 and
- the start procedure logged in logfile b

Best regards
Markus