2d only buffer cache

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 16:06:44 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-04-25 at 08:15 +0200, Omnis Moriar wrote:
> how to tune up a buffer cache ?? What mean option buffer cache in
> xorg ?? Is this a buffer for system without buffer for opengl ?? Or i
> should write "512" if i got a 1GB DDR3 r7 240 ASUS . Write everything
> about buffer cache . Write all about most tweakly options in xorg
> ...WHAT IS PAGE FLIP AND WHAT IS THE CORRECT OPTION FOR BUFFER CACHE
> AND OTHER OPTIONS FOR 2D ONLY ?

It is difficult to answer your questions, because it is not clear what
environment you are describing or which driver's options you're
referring to. The only option named anything like "buffer cache" in the
open drivers is in the intel driver (where it is a debugging option to
_disable_ the cache if you're using the old uxa acceleration code). But
I don't know if that's relevant to you, because an "ASUS R7 240" seems
to be a radeon, which would not use that driver.

In general the correct option settings for "2D only" are: the defaults.
And that tends to be true for 3D workloads as well. That Xorg had
options controlling these kinds of cache sizes before was because the
drivers were too naïve to dynamically allocate memory to different
subsystems.

Page flipping is an optimization where the display can update by
switching between two different pixel buffers, rather than copying
pixels from one buffer to another. You want it enabled, unless you're
seeing graphical corruption and disabling page flipping fixes that
corruption, in which case it's a bug and we'd like to hear about it.

- ajax