Black screen, UI lock up, when starting Xserver,

John Talbut jt at dpets.uk
Fri Sep 14 19:13:27 UTC 2018

On 14/09/18 19:54, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-09-14 at 18:46 +0100, John Talbut wrote:
>> Thanks Adam
>>
>> If I boot to runlevel 3, log into tty1 as root and run 'X -retro' the UI
>> locks up.
>
> When this happens, does VT switch still work? Can you hit control-alt-
> backspace to terminate the server?

No, if I run 'X -retro' from tty1 as root the screen goes black apart
from a steady underscore top left and the keyboard is unresponsive, or
at least nothing changes on the screen when I press any keys.

>If yes (and the answer to both
> should be the same) then the server is "alive" but something about
> changing the video mode has gone awry, so that where the server is
> drawing is not where the hardware is looking.
>
> This would probably be a kernel bug, probably in the gma500 driver,
> which is not a great place to be as the driver is essentially
> unmaintained afaik. dri-devel at lists.freedesktop.org would be the most
> likely place to find help, and they would probably want to see dmesg
> from a boot with 'drm.debug=0x7' on the kernel command line for the
> details of the attempted modeset, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Would anything have changed recently with this driver?  The computer was
working fine until late July.