Black screen, UI lock up, when starting Xserver,

John Talbut jt at dpets.uk
Fri Sep 14 17:46:15 UTC 2018

Thanks Adam

If I boot to runlevel 3, log into tty1 as root and run 'X -retro' the UI
locks up.

If I boot to runlevel 3, log into tty2 as a user and run 'X -retro' the
tty stays live and I get some messages:

(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) parse_vt_setting: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (Permission denied)
(EE)
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log
file.l/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

The latter log file also has a couple of lines:
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor

There do not seem to be any other errors.

It is a bit difficult to send whole log files as I do not have an email
client on the machine without the desktop.  If there is anything in
particular to check or further tests, let me know.

John