Start X on automatically on Boot — Setting up Kiosk-System

Philipp Schmidt p.schmidt at atelierpapenfuss.de
Mon Sep 10 09:13:17 UTC 2018

Hello Everybody,

I am stuck with setting a kiosk system on an ubuntu 18.04 LTS, which was
installed using the webinstaller. I have installed xorg, openbox and
chromium as well. Since I would like to create a kiosk system: The
browser should start as soon as system has finished booting and as a
non-root user.

When I start the system and log in as the »kioskuser« and run startx (or
the whole kiosk launcher script) everything works as is should. But when
I try to run the whole thing on start, using systemd, or from an
ssh-connected terminal a Desktop starts when I run it as root, but it
fails when I try to run it as the »kioskuser«. I have already posed some
questions on askubuntu.com and unix.stackexchange.com which include a
lot of details about the used scripts/files and log messages.

question 1
<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/467517/start-chromium-on-startup-using-systemd>

question 2
<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/467981/start-x-and-browser-within-openbox-on-start>

question 3
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/1073862/configure-x-to-be-started-by-non-root-user>

question 4
<https://askubuntu.com/questions/1073889/xwrapper-config-ignored-on-18-04>

To sum up: Basically *the whole setup is working*, X starts, the blank
Desktop appears and even the browser starts as it should, but only if
everything is launched from a non-ssh-connected logged in user. So the
problem here is the *how to launch. *I am really lost, this is my first
project which involves X- and Desktop-Setup, so I am really running out
of ideas, since there are so many changes in Ubuntu and X within the
different version.

Thanks in Ahead for any kind of help!

Best philipp

PAPENFUSS | Atelier

Marktstraße 12
99423 Weimar

Telefon +49 3643 7760-0
Telefax +49 3643 7760-20

Internet www.atelierpapenfuss.de

UStID DE150252425
StNr. 162/255/02785

VERTRAULICHKEIT: Diese E-Mail und jegliche Anhaenge sind vertraulich. Wenn Sie nicht der
genannte Empfaenger sind, teilen Sie es dem Absender bitte sofort mit und geben Sie den Inhalt
nicht einer anderen Person frei und benutzen, speichern oder kopieren Sie ihn nicht.

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged.
If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents
to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.