Where can I find doc to explain how xorg deals with hostname and DISPLAY?

Alexander Franca Fernandes affedem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:46:36 UTC 2018

Hi.

I don't want a solution, only to understand what's happening, and where to
find the explanation.

I'm using CentOS 7, despite I was an Slackware and Gentoo user (for more
than 10 years).

After I connect into a VPN I get the message (when I'm trying to open X
apps):

*Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key*
*(geeqie:12853): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0*

That's a very ordinary and common message for Linux users, I know.

Merging Xauthorit or exporting DISPLAY variable, using all hostnames/IP as
possible, doesn't fix the problem.

Even doing a SSH to localhost (with X11 forward enabled) doesn't work.

If I execute xhost + I still get the error:

*Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyxhost:  unable to open display ":0"*

So, I only want to understand how Xorg treat the relation among hostname,
IP, DISPLAY, users etc.

For now, the only way I can solve the problem is to exit X and start again,
what is a kind of nightmare in my daily work.

Best regards
Alexander