XiGrabDevice locks out other devices?

Eric Sokolowsky esok127 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:16:24 UTC 2018

Hi,
I'm writing some software that controls a presentation. I have a
presentation remote that appears as a keyboard, and it works to advance the
presentation as long as application has focus. What I would like to do is
to force that particular presentation remote always send its events to the
presentation application regardless of focus, so I can work in other
windows while the presentation is going on, and still be able to interact
with the application using my other keyboard and mouse. Using XIGrabDevice
I was able to get this partially working in that it did solely get all
events from the presentation remote, but it seemed to also lock out any
other device (my regular mouse and keyboard). Is this intended behavior? Is
there a way to force this one device to this application while letting all
other devices act normally? Thanks to any insights you can provide.

Eric