Is there a way to make xorg-server to release eGPU?

Qu Wenruo quwenruo.btrfs at gmx.com
Sun Nov 18 06:34:02 UTC 2018

Hi,

Recently I got a eGPU closure which contains an RX580.

Xorg server detects it and PRIME works mostly fine.

However amdgpu kernel module keeps panicing the whole kernel when the
eGPU is disconnected, either hot plugged out or using the pci remove
sysfs interface.

And rmmod amdgpu returns EBUSY.
So this means I can only hot plug-in, but not hot plug-out.

I'm wondering is there anyway to make xorg-server to release amdgpu
usage and then unload the kernel module before hot plug out or pci remove.

The related kernel is 4.19.1-ARCH, and 1.20.3 xorg-server.

Thanks,
Qu