How to specify a larger font for an application?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon May 14 17:34:26 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-11 at 03:06 -0500, Leslie Turriff wrote:
> 	I normally use the X2 text editor for most of my file editing, but although
> it is an excellent editor, its default font is too small for me to read
> easily, so I'm looking for a way to change that.
> 	The editor has a configuration file with a parameter that looks like this:
>
> 		xwindows_font:	fixed
>
> but I haven't figured out what the possibilities are for valid font
> descriptions to replace "fixed".

"fixed" is an alias for "6x13", which is itself an alias for something
like "-misc-fixes-medium-r-normal--13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*". You can get a
complete list of the fonts available to your X server by running
xlsfonts(1), or you can use the xfontsel(1) utility to select one
interactively. The dropdown boxes in xfontsel map directly to the XLFD
fields:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_logical_font_description

- ajax