Multihead issues

Steve Dodd steved424 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 17:12:38 UTC 2018

I've hit this issue a number of times recently, and again today. Real
problems with multi-head configuration (*non* RandR) on intel & modesetting
at least .. Ubuntu 18.04 so xorg 1.19.6.

With intel(4) driver, after much guessing of CRTC numbers (would be really
good if xrandr(1) could print them!) I managed to get two multi-head
displays up, but the first/left-hand side was broken in all sorts of odd
ways, screen not refreshing properly, responding extremely slowly to input,
etc., etc.
Second display is fine - almost like the server itself was confused rather
than the gfx driver?
xorg.conf: https://pastebin.com/N7sR34J4

So I tried with modesetting(4) and can't even get it to see the second
display:

[  2090.926] (**) modeset(1): Option "ZaphodHeads" "1:HDMI-1"
..
[  2091.032] (WW) modeset(1): No outputs definitely connected, trying
again...
[  2091.032] (WW) modeset(1): Unable to find connected outputs - setting
1024x768 initial framebuffer
..
[  2091.032] (EE) modeset(1): No modes.

Same if I specify pipe 2.