what LLVM does mesa need to build "r300" ?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sun Jun 10 23:11:23 UTC 2018

On 6/10/18 11:03 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Sun, 10 Jun 2018 10:41:22 -0400 Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:
>> Dear Xorg:
>>
>>       For some days now I have been going in circles trying to get a
>> build going from git but endlessly run into oddball dependecy issues on
>> Debian buster :
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> checking for RADEON... yes
>> configure: error: --enable-llvm is required when building r300
>> build.sh: "./autogen.sh" failed on mesa/mesa
>> build.sh: error processing:  "mesa/mesa"
>
> You probably need to pass "--enable-llvm" to build.sh or else edit build.sh
> to include --enable-llvm on the command line to configure or autogen.sh.

I do this sort of thing once every few years as an acid test of the
whole xorg build process. Something went out the window in the last few
years .. don't know what but the process went from "works" to "doesn't".

OKay, so from what I can see and with many hours of experimentation here
on two machines there really are not any up to date docs that cover how
to build all of xorg.  What instructions do exist need an update and
I'll be happy to look into that if and when I see a single full build
complete. That works. More or less works.  Not today.  Maybe not this
week but who knows.

The strange magic words "--enable-llvm" issued to ye "build.sh" result
in being told quickly "no, don't do that ... go away" :

fs$ ./util/modular/build.sh --clone --autoresume --enable-llvm
built.modules /usr/local/xorg
the argument '--enable-llvm' of option '--autoresume' looks like an
option itself

Usage: build.sh [options] [prefix]
.
.
.

etc etc etc

So maybe I need to just focus on mesa and mesa only and just mess with
it to get it built all by itself and then see what breaks next. Fair and
reasonable approach I think.

So .. any hints from anyone on how to poke mesa in the guts and let it
build?  Given that I have every weird dependency and the kitchen sink
installed ... and that is saying something right there let me tell you.

Dennis