X11 library bindings for Rust

Marty Mills daggerbot at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 06:25:43 UTC 2018

I'm the maintainer of x11-rs (https://github.com/daggerbot/x11-rs), the
Rust language bindings for the X11 libraries. In response to the
announcement that Microsoft is acquiring GitHub, I've decided to leave
GitHub in favor of either an alternative host or (even better) hosting
any future projects on a domain of my own. The Rust build tool, cargo,
relies heavily on crates.io, a site that requires users to have a GitHub
account. Unless they relax this requirement in the future, I won't be
using their service anymore.

My main point is that x11-rs needs a new maintainer. I should have done
this over a year ago, as I'm now going to school full time in addition
to my full time job (neither of which are related to CS or programming),
so I haven't had time for anything more than reviewing and merging pull
requests on occasion. I was planning a rewrite of the bindings that
addresses an issue that often comes up with dynamic linking, but I don't
see myself finding the time.

Being the maintainer mostly entails merging pull requests on occasion,
as contributions are pretty infrequent. I decided to come here or
freedesktop first to find out if anybody is willing to take over my
publishing permission on crates.io. If all else fails, I'll try the Rust
subreddit. Thanks for reading