Two cards and four monitor question

sawbona at gmx.net sawbona at gmx.net
Sun Aug 5 15:51:49 UTC 2018

Hello:

At present I am running a two card - three monitor arrangement which has the following layout:

| Monitor 0 | Monitor 1 | Monitor 3 |

This is the hardware video used:

# Cards and bus addresses output from lspci
# 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 370] (rev a1)
# 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G96GL [Quadro FX 580] (rev a1)

The Quadro FX 370 runs Monitor 0 and Monitor 3 from each of its available DVI ports while the
Quadro FX 580 runs Monitor 1 from the only available DVI port. the other two ports being of the
Display Port type.

Monitors 0 and 3 are Samsung SyncMaster 940N with VGA inputs and Monitor 1 is a Dell
P1914S with the option of using VGA, DVI or Display Port to drive it. It is currently using the
DVI port.

I am using the Nvidia drivers with Xinerama enabled and everything works well enough.
RandR gets disabled at boot because of Xinerama.

---
[    61.330] (WW) NVIDIA: The Composite and Xinerama extensions are both enabled, which
[    61.330] (WW) NVIDIA: is an unsupported configuration.  The driver will continue
[    61.330] (WW) NVIDIA: to load, but may behave strangely.
[    61.330] (WW) NVIDIA: Xinerama is enabled, so RandR has likely been disabled by the
[    61.330] (WW) NVIDIA: X server.
---

Now I would like to hook up a fourth monitor that I have received as a gift (brand new 15"
Philips 150S) and place it at the end of the row to run Conky and maybe a terminal.
ie: to the right of Monitor 2.

Question:
Can this fourth monitor be run from the *same* card as Monitor 1 using one of the Display
ports?

Or do I have to shuffle everything around?

I'd like to know if there's some sort of restiction to this beforere I start mucking around with the
xorg.conf file.

Thanks in advance.