Question about xrandr output name

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Fri Apr 20 16:09:26 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 19 Apr 2018, at 09:22, David Chen <david0813 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have observed that when connecting display port with MST enabled monitor, display output name in xrandr becomes something like DP-2-8, and there are more output interfaces listed in xrandr.  I am wondering how those names are defined.

As far as I have seen this are the logical connection going over the port.

However, I wanted to chime in for two questions I wanted to ask for some time already:

1) i noticed the various open xorg drivers use different naming, could we unify this in regards to dashes and counting 0 and 1 based?
E.g. DP-0 vs DP1 on intel vs. nouveau vs. modesetting vs. amdgpu, etc?

Of course not such a big deal, but it is a bit annoying to hardcode things based on machine types and such in my display setup shell script.

2) I also have such an MST, Dell 4k display for some three years now. IIRC only the modesetting driver does setup the two MST halfs correctly, when using the -intel driver I have to manually xrandr --output … --left-of the two “virtual screens” to get an output that covers the whole display.
Any thoughts on this? Any plans to generically improve this or in the intel driver?

Greetings,
	René

--
 ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
 http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.de