need help configuring x on Ubuntu 16.04

Brian Martel bmartel77 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 18 21:38:11 UTC 2018

Hello,

I’m taking care of two systems featuring dual installs of Windows and
64-bit Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. However, one of these Ubuntu systems crashed
with the message “Fatal error: No screens found.” I can boot up in
failsafegraphic mode, but that doesn’t fix the problem permanently.

This system is a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5101 laptop, the specs for which
list the graphics card as the Intel Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series, though system
settings shows LLVMpipe for graphics (LLVM 5.0, 128 bits). I don’t
believe that drivers are the issue, as I’ve checked both healthy and
sick systems to find that “no proprietary drivers are in use.”

I’ve searched for similar problems in forums, and found a few. This is
commonly a problem with the xorg config file. On both of my systems,
rather than /xorg.conf/, /theconfig file is x//org.conf.failsafe/. It’s
found in ext/x11. I have log files to search for clues, including
/xorg.0.log/as well as /xorg.fa//ilsafe.log/. The failsafe log states
that the config file lacks a Layout section.

Would it be advisable to edit the config filemanually? I’ve tried
generating a config file by running /X -configure/, but had no luck.

Would anyone have some suggestions for me? I’d greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks!

--Brian