Unsupported locale errors in XOrg

Prashanth Chandra coolshanth94 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:42:58 UTC 2018

Ilya,

1.
/usr/share/X11/locale/locale.dir
does contain the line
en_US.UTF-8/XLC_LOCALE:                 en_HK.UTF-8
2.
/usr/share/X11/locale/locale.alias
doesn't contain a line beginning with
en_HK.UTF-8:
does contain lines beginning with
en_HK.utf8, en_HK.iso88591, etc.
3.
/etc/locale.gen
is fully commented except for the following two uncommented lines:
en_HK.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
4.
/etc/locale.alias
doesn't contain the string en_HK.UTF-8
5.
Then, I ran sudo update-locale LANG="en_HK.utf-8" LANGUAGE="en_HK" and rebooted
my locale was changed to the following:
LANG=en_HK.utf-8
LANGUAGE=en_HK
LC_CTYPE="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_TIME="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_PAPER="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_NAME="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_HK.utf-8"
LC_ALL=
But I'm still seeing the same errors.
6.
I don't know if this means anything, but I can't find any locales
starting with en_HK under /usr/share/X11/locale,
though I do see en_US.UTF-8.

Thomas,

That was the closest thread I found that matches my issue, though I'm
quite confident the root cause is entirely different.
I've seen this error for the first time a few years back and every
time I boot into a new install of Ubuntu desktop (the installer
detects IP country and uses it to set the locale),
though I've always ignored it and forced the default locale to en_US.UTF-8.