xorg.0.log repetitive entries

sawbona at gmx.net sawbona at gmx.net
Thu Oct 19 23:29:12 UTC 2017

Hello:

Combing through the xorg.0.log file was an important part of being able to set up two Nvidia
cards (FX580+FX370) to drive three monitors (Dell P1914S + 2x SyncMaster 940N) in
Xinerama mode.

Lots of searching and countless logouts/logins/boots eventually got me the working xorg.conf I
wanted, with 'apparently' no problems: A desktop spanning three 1280*1024 monitors
(3840*1024).

This is under PCLinuxOS.
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux_4.13.5-pclos1 PCLinuxOS
Current Operating System: Linux groucho 4.12.10-pclos1

The one thing that caught my eye was how some (quite a few) entries repeat themselves
numerous times within the log file.

For example, these lines accounting for the mode setting of each one of my three monitors:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "CRT-0:1280x1024"
(II) NVIDIA(1): Setting mode "DFP-0:1280x1024"
(II) NVIDIA(2): Setting mode "CRT-1:1280x1024"

The xorg.0.log file has these three entries repeated nine (9) times each, obviously at different
time stamps.

There are other quite a few parts of the log file that are repeated a number of times and seeing
that there is a 20+ seconds wait from the PW 'enter' to a usable desktop, I am starting to
wonder if there isn't something wrong with the xorg.conf file I put together.

My xorg.0.log has no errors (EE), a coulple of the advisories (WW) that xorg calls 'warnings'
and to which many before me have tried to find answers to (and decided that they're harmless)
so that seems to be all right (?).

So the first question would be if it is 'normal' (as in 'usual') for the log file to have repeated
entries for the exact same thing.

It starts at [ 58.839] and ends at [100.838].

Thanks in advance,