sending mouse events to another Xorg server

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed May 3 05:23:38 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have in my home the following situation to watch TV from
live streams in Internet:

A laptop running FreeBSD 12-CURRENT with Xorg 7.x, KDE 4.14, FF 52, ...
A TV connected to it over VGA and the TV is the extended
display in Xorg, i.e. I can move applications (like FF)
from the LCD of the laptop to the TV screen and bring FF
there into full screen mode. Due to the VGA cable this laptop
is located in the corner of the room and not somewhere in
front of the TV, reachable by the person watching the show.

What I do want to archive is controlling the mouse (and
less important the keyboard) of the Xorg server  which controls
the TV, from another 2nd laptop which runs the same software
stack (12-CURRENT, Xorg, KDE, ...) and which can reach
the 1st laptop over Wifi, like this picture:

+---------------+
| KDE           |)--------------------> |   TV   |
| xorg          |                       +--------+
| firefox       |                           ^
+---------------+                           |
            \                               | (eye contact)
             \                              |
              \                     +-------------+
               \   (Wifi)           | 2nd laptop  |
                \__________________ | with:       |
                                    | KDE         |
                                    | xorg        |
                                    +-------------+

I'm thinking in a X11-client running on the 2nd laptop
having a small grey window only (or even a tiny picture from
the TV's picture, but grey would be enough) and when the mouse
of the Xorg server enters this grey area, all mouse movements
and button clicks are populated to the Xorg and the 1st laptop
as the would have been done on its physical touchpad, something
like the xev(1) client, which protocols the mouse actions, in
the case of xev(1), to stdout.

Is there any way to do so?

Thanks in advance.

	matthias