modeset(0): drmSetMaster failed: Permission denied

Mon May 1 03:58:01 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have built xorg-server, xauth, and xinit with their dependencies.
When I do startx I get "xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission denied)".
So, I change the permissions on /dev/tty7 to 660.
Now, when I do startx I get "modeset(0): drmSetMaster failed: Permission denied".

I read in the web that some people use SUID on /usr/bin/Xorg to solve this problem but I am not sure if it is safe to do that and maybe there is a better way.
Same thing for my permissions on /dev/tty7, I would prefer to not change permissions if possible.
With the Xorg provided by my distro, there is no SUID on /usr/bin/Xorg and only 0620 on /dev/tty7 which is better, and it works fine.
So, I am wondering why it does not work with my own Xorg.

Any idea please?

Thank you.
Best regards.

---