Help setting up xorg.conf on fedora 25 kde

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 27 09:43:59 UTC 2017

Josh Temple composed on 2017-07-26 08:21 (UTC-0600):

> I'm trying to setup an xorg.conf file. This is because I want to setup all
> the buttons on my special mouse I use for my arthritis, so this is a big
> deal for me. If anyone has some time to spare to help me figure this out
> I'd appreciate it very much and would gladly pay someone to do so.

> I've tried a lot of stuff, but this gets me the furthest:
> -- Ctrl+Alt+F3
> -- $ sudo service gdm stop
> -- $ sudo Xorg :5 -configure

If KDE is the only or primary desktop you plan to use, sddm is preferred over
gdm as display manager. If you're a long time KDE user, I suggest you consider
kdm instead. Even though it's no longer "supported", it remains available, and
it maintains a larger feature set than sddm or lightdm, probably more than gdm
(which I never use) as well.

> This gives me a segmentation fault. Here's a snippet of the output:

I booted a 64-bit F25/Plasma installation with an older Radeon gfxcard and got a
segfault that looks like yours. So I rebooted to F24/Plasma, which succeeded to
produce the attached xorg.conf. It contains mostly components that have nothing
to do with any pointing device. The following subset of the attachment should be
all you need as a starting point for pointing device customization:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "X.org Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "auto"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

I've not needed customization of any pointing device in probably at least a
decade, so am unsure that there are any specific changes to suggest. I do wonder
whether and why mouse configuration in desktop settings would not be easier than
editing config files.

I also suggest that your file be named /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/25-mouse.conf

Finally I believe you should file a bugzilla.redhat.com bug about the segfaulting.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/