Non-EDID Device Info

Trevor Childs trevor at netmsi.com
Wed Jul 19 19:14:32 UTC 2017

I'm working with an output device that normally takes in SDI inputs. I am
using an HDMI to SDI converter, but it means that the EDID information
reported over HDMI is inaccurate to the output device. If I attempt to boot
with X11 auto-detecting everything, it doesn't work (blank screen with
low-resolution signal).

If I boot with the HDMI plugged into a monitor that has the same max
resolution and refresh rate as my target device, X11 sets up properly. If I
then unplug the monitor and plug into the converter, the settings stay the
same and it works.

I copied the monitor's EDID to a file, and got the modeline for the working
video mode. xorg.conf is set up to load the EDID from the file, add in the
modeline, and select that mode. I have confirmed that this is all working
by looking at Xorg.0.log. It looks like something is still missing though,
as the behavior is exactly the same as before (device fails; monitor works;
hotswap from monitor makes device work).

Is there any other information I can add to xorg.conf to make the system
think it's plugged into the working monitor during it's initial setup?