Fwd: X is consuming ~100 GiB of RAM(!)

Hi-Angel hiangel999 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 18:35:43 UTC 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hi-Angel <hiangel999 at gmail.com>
Date: 7 December 2017 at 21:12
Subject: Re: X is consuming ~100 GiB of RAM(!)
To: Ewen Chan <chan.ewen at gmail.com>

On 7 December 2017 at 19:22, Ewen Chan <chan.ewen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's one more of beauties of open source
>
> The thing that I can think of that would be even more beautiful than that
> would be if this didn't happen at all in the first place. :D
>
> This "memory leak" or high consumption of memory from the subsystem that
> draws/renders the desktop/GUI doesn't happen at all with Windows no matter
> how many times I run the same analysis script.
>
> My early subjective analysis (with this mgag200 blacklist) puts the time it
> takes to run the simulations now on par with Windows and Windows just worked
> (properly) like this from the get go.
>
> People keep talking about great and wonderful Linux is, but this experience
> has been anything but.

Problems arise everywhere, it's the state of life per se. Today I been
forced to engage with some peoples, also because of them I lost some
post. In addition I've been two days arguing with stupid support of
wordpress.com who can't understand that their Markdown is broken. But
this doesn't make me to claim that all people are bad.

The beauty of open source is that when you have a problem, you
actually have ways to solve it. After this discussion happened I did
even more research, and found that the Matrox driver seems to be in
the end FOSS. This means that you actually fix the code, or pay to
someone else to fix it.

Out of pure luck you don't happen to have the problem on Windows, but
now imagine you would. What you gonna do? Let me quote one developer:

"What happens when you read some doc and either it doesn't answer your
question or is demonstrably wrong? In Linux, you say "Linux sucks" and
go read the code. In Windows/Oracle/etc you say "Windows sucks" and
start banging your head against the wall."
--- Denis Vlasenko on lkml