X is consuming ~100 GiB of RAM(!)

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 7 05:17:20 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 07, 2017 at 07:39:27AM +0300, Hi-Angel wrote:
> > On 7 December 2017 at 06:05, Ewen Chan <chan.ewen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You know, btw, another silly idea: if blacklisting the driver will
> help, but you actually care of graphics performance — you could try
> enabling it back, and then installing modesetting driver, and forcing
> Xorg to use it through a xorg.conf. Per my understanding the leak
> could specifically be in Matrox DDX driver — if this is the case, by
> replacing it with modesetting DDX you'd keep the performance and get
> rid of leaks. "modesetting" is a vendor-neutral DDX driver which is
> implemented on top of whatever driver provides OpenGL functional.
>
> It should be noted though that if leaks are in the matrox's provision
> of OpenGL, it won't help.

One possible problem with using modesetting in 1.15.2 is that it was
recent, and sometimes regarded as experimental.  Nowadays it is
built as part of the xorg-server (provided the dependencies are
present), but I've no idea what SuSe did in that old version -
generally they seem to make it hard for people not using their
distros to find how they built the source.  So maybe using
modesetting will fail - I hope not, because on one of my previous
cheap machines it improved the CPU usage significantly when running
X, so I now regard the modesetting driver as well worth having.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.