[security-team] X.org Query

Marcus Meissner meissner at suse.de
Fri Aug 18 11:34:40 UTC 2017

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 02:13:32PM +0000, Bhawna.Sharma at wellsfargo.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have  few questions regarding X.org.
>

> 1.       Is X.org a product or a software? If not, what is it exactly?

	www.x.org gives that answer.

	"The X.Org project provides an open source implementation of the X Window System."

> 2.       Is there a fix available for the CVE-1999-0526 which is associated with x11 server ?

	This is a configuration setting, that depends on who starts the X Server is required
	to setup and pass in authentication credentials.

	In general all modern day Desktop Managers like XDM, GDM, KDM and others do secure setup
	out of the box, but this could be overridden by logged in users, or local setups.

> 3.       How is port 6000 and 6001 associated with x11?

	The TCP ports 6000 and 6001 associate with the first DISPLAY ( named :0 ) and the second
	( named :1 ) which are used commonly in X Server setups.

	These ports are commonly served by the X Server.

Ciao, Marcus