Dell P2715Q Monitor does not wake up after sleep (off, standby, or suspend)

Greg Gorsuch thewatchman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 15:39:06 UTC 2017

I don't think the monitor ever worked correctly in Linux in this regard. It
is a couple years old. It is still under warranty, but Dell says they won't
help since it might involve Linux. It does appear to work correctly under
Windows 10 from the limited testing I did. Since this is the case it should
be possible to make it work with Linux. That being said if it was possible
to demonstrate some aspect of it is flawed under Windows then I suspect
they might help.

Where are the sleep logistics handled? Is it with the X server, the NVIDIA
drivers, the Linux Kernel, or somewhere else? Is it possible to capture the
communications on Windows 10 to identify how it is being handled. I don't
get the feeling it should be that complex to fix or at least implement a
work around since xrander is able to bring the monitor back online.

When was this purchased? What is its date of manufacture? Did it ever work
right
with any Linux distro or kernel? Any chance you can still return it to
vendor?

I suspect this may well be a problem with no other solution.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260115 reviews
indicate I'm not the only one with DisplayPort sleep mode trouble with a
Dell
display.

My Dell U2913WM behaves as expected, unless connected via DisplayPort. When
connected to my Dell DisplayPort-equipped PCs via DisplayPort, it absolutely
must be powered up before turning on the PC. Otherwise, it stays in sleep
mode
indefinitely.

I managed to get Dell to replace it next day on my first phone call, but
eventually Dell refused further help because my Dell /PCs/ were "out of
support".

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/