Bug (?) in compose

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmx.de
Fri Sep 30 18:48:20 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 04:25:20PM +0300, Clock Source wrote:

><Multi_key> <f> <f>                     : "ff"   Ufb00 # LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FF
> - not work, xev output:
>KeyPress event, serial 39, synthetic NO, window 0x5000001,
>    root 0x262, subw 0x0, time 2593224, (321,71), root:(331,152),
>    state 0x0, keycode 0 (keysym 0x100fb00, UFB00), same_screen YES,
>    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>    XmbLookupString gives 3 bytes: (ef ac 80) "ff"
>    XFilterEvent returns: False

Everything is perfectly fine with the output. In case you see some hollow
rectangle, that's simply because your font doesn't support the glyph (and
either fontconfig is not used or cannot find a substitute that supports
the glyph either)

Ie. this is not an issue with glyph composition, but with your toolkit
or the installed fonts. Iow. you'll have to not in which applications it
does not work, which font you use there and which fonts are installed.
Afaics, the DejaVu fonts should support it, but not the monospace
variant (actually, I've no monospace font available supporting it, might
be a problem related to the ligature nature)

Cheers,
Thomas