Inability to get system rescue graphical environment to boot on new Dell Inspiron laptop

Ken Burgett keburgett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 21:59:36 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 17" hdmi laptop, 64 bit, running Windows
10.  I wish to configure the system as a dual boot, with Ubuntu 16.04
alongside Win 10.  I downloaded the System Rescue iso and flashed it to a
usb 2.0 pendrive with Rufus.

I got it to boot, but I can't get startx to start, it dumps out about 20
lines of stuff and then issues another command prompt.  It looks like the
X.org server didn't start.

In order to capture the failure, I took a photo with my phone camera, and
have included it as an attachment to this email.

I would really appreciate someone letting me know how I might proceed
beyond this point.  I have used System Rescue many times in the past, but
never with this particular computer.  Are there bios options I need to set?

--
Regards,

Ken

Seek wisdom through disbelief