Input method support in Qt 5

Dominik Wezel dom at qvasartech.com
Mon Oct 17 10:43:25 UTC 2016

Hi

I had to upgrade to KDE 5 recently.  One of the first things I
immediately noticed was that my key composition table was no longer
working.  In earlier versions, I managed to force Qt and GTK to use XIM,
which supported my huge additions to
/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose.

As a mere KDE user without deeper insight, I first blamed KDE for it,
but was kindly redirected to Qt as the underlying problem. When
searching the net I found some emails from 2013 written by Paeglis
Gatis, where I learned that XIM is deprecated in Qt5 and that support
for key composition tables is planned to be done directly in Qt.

However, it seemed that task
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/48185/ is abandoned.

How do I make Qt use my key composition table?  Or is there an
alternative, equally versatile format for key composition in Qt?

Thanks for a fast answer: this problem has a huge impact on my work and
slows me down considerably.

Dominik Wezel