XQuartz fails to Launch or Reinstall

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmx.de
Tue Oct 11 06:50:32 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 02:12:18AM +0000, Wendy M Calvin wrote:
>Thanks for your response.
>
>I get
>
>touch: /tmp/.tX0-lock: Operation not permitted
>

>I get the same error “Operation not permitted” if I try to mv the /tmp directory to something like tmp_old in order to recreate the link.

According to
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/482205?start=0&tstart=0 /tmp is now
755, root:wheel what means only root can write there.
You could add yourself to wheel and make it 775, but I'm not sure why
apple chose those (idiotic) permissions and it's likely not a persistent
change (reg. the /tmp permissions, group assignments should be fine)

Cheers,
Thomas