Need help understanding X server freeze

jeetu.golani at gmail.com jeetu.golani at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 18:23:51 UTC 2016

Hi again,

Felix, Thomas and Ilya, thank you so much for the suggestions.

>Try a substantially different environment, one without GDM, and as little of >GTK as possible (QT-based, unlike XFCE4), e.g. TDE:
>https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DebianInstall

I see that they don't have stable packages for Stretch / Sid as of
now. Will probably try the preliminary packages for the next release
and see how it goes.

Was thinking of putting on KDE, but that's quite huge.

>Only more wild guesses, maybe input/event handling?
>GTK_IM_MODULE=xim GDK_CORE_DEVICE_EVENTS=1 gedit
>
>You could also export GTK_DEBUG and GDK_DEBUG, see
>https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.8/gtk-running.html

Will definitely be interesting to see the results of these environment
variables.

>You  could  try to use wireshark and/or tcpdump to dump and ana-
>lyze what's going on on the connection on the ssh  server   side.
>In  fact,     DISPLAY     localhost:10.0     points     to    ad-
>dress/port 127.0.0.1:6010 , which could be easily captured.

This will definitely be interesting.....this will surely give a wealth
of information, hope it's something we can interpret and use to
pinpoint the problem. I will probably try this once am done trying the
above two tests.

Thank you again :)....been in the dark for so long, now it feels like
we will finally get to the bottom of this :)

Will report back soon :)

Bye for now