Need help understanding X server freeze

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 05:32:08 UTC 2016

jeetu.golani at gmail.com composed on 2016-10-04 10:14 (UTC+0530):

>>Maybe try the modesetting driver at least on the Intel/Sid installation.

> Unfortunately when I use the default modesetting driver my X
> consistently crashes simply by starting gnome-terminal and doing
> something simple like traversing it's menus. This causes the entire X
> server to crash and restart back to the login.

> I read others having this problem with Debian Unstable and the
> recommendation was to move back to the Intel driver.

> Is there some way for me to gather more debugging information from the
> server so that when ssh over my tunnel causes a freeze I can figure
> out what has happened?

I'm no expert on remote troubles. I suggest to focus on Intel/Sid by reading
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/how-report-bugs and
https://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ServerDebugging/
if you haven't already, and providing all appropriate information on the
intel-gfx at lists.freedesktop.org mailing list. If someone there says to report
elsewhere, the response should come with more specific info as to what to
provide, and more importantly, to which list. Surely you'll need to provide
basic info, such as motherboard model (to know which generation chipset) and
output from 'lspci | grep VGA' plus hwinfo and/or inxi and an Xorg log.

Maybe first try a different login manager and/or DE. Gnome is surely the
first or second most demanding from the X server of all DEs, so may be the
root problem.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/