Question about X on the arm's.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Nov 29 11:20:52 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 29 November 2016 02:40:45 Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> On 11/28/16 07:58 PM, Antoine Martin wrote:
> > Even 100mbit is perfectly usable for remote access provided you use
> > the right tools and make some sacrifices. FYI: 4K at 60 "fits" in H264
> > ~60Mbps. But again, as I said above, just don't expect to handle
> > fullscreen video on arm where *we* don't support hardware H264
> > decoding. (though other tools might)
>
> But we're talking the X11 protocol, not H264.  X11 doesn't compress
> video at all - you need an external proxy to do that, and since LBX
> support was dropped from the X server years ago, that leaves ssh X
> forwarding with compression, or picking an alternate protocol such as
> VNC or RDP.

Since we are talking about my needs, and you mention vnc, its now part of
the latest raspian download, which I didn't have yet, but the iso is
trickling in now. It is not part of the odroids ubtuntu-16.04 LTS
install so I'll have to see about how to acquire the free home version.

That assumes that it can function in the presence of a x server on the
droid whose listen function is turned off, presumably by removing the
code.  Can it?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)