Question about X on the arm's.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Nov 29 05:39:17 UTC 2016

<gheskett at shentel.net> said:
> [...]
Unfortunately, I have told it to listen, but its apparently disabled
internally.

I can launch it with this command line:

exec /usr/bin/X -listen tcp "@"
but when I look with htop, the option is shown as -nolisten tcp, so of
course it doesn't work.  I'd like to take my walking stick and go
calling on whoever made that choice because it saved 50k of object code.

That has now been pointed out as a bug on the droid forums. So we'll see
how that goes over.

> >> Which works but at very lethargic speeds. 3, 4 frames a second.  I
> >> need 20 or more. This odroid64, with at least 3 gpu's is said to be
> >> able to do a 4k display at 60 frames a second.
> >
> > that'd be simply display REFRESH. not actual rendering of content.
> > and forget REMOTE display over ssh over a bottleneck of a network
> > device. forget trying to get anything like high performance over a
> > network connection when it comes to display. don't even bother. it's
> > a waste of time.
>
> I beg to differ. An arm CPU certainly makes this more of a challenge,
> but it is not a lost cause... just don't use SSH forwarding, some
> tuning IS required.
>
> > if it displays at ALL - be
> > happy. to provide updated pixels at 60hz for a 4k display would
> > require a 16 GIGABIT network... with NO OTHER TRAFFIC on it at all.
> > and no network packet/protocol overhead. so let's make that 20
> > gigabit. that's assuming xputimage with 24bpp images (padded out to
> > 32bpp as that's how xputimage works). that does not account for
> > bottlenecks outside the network itself (the system at either end and
> > it's tpc/ip stack, kernel, memcpy's etc. etc.).
>
> I don't think the OP is trying to watch a 4K video over TCP, rather
> stating that his hardware is capable of pushing 4k at 60 pixels, which is
> why he was expecting better results.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)