Question about X on the arm's.

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Nov 29 04:59:26 UTC 2016

On Monday 28 November 2016 18:11:29 Thomas Lübking wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 11:15:52AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> remove the '-nolisten tcp' from its launch of
> >> exec /usr/bin/X "$@"
> >> in xinit/xserverrc, and that would enable it, no one else has said
> >> to just remove the "no".
> >>
> >> What would be the nmap line to show that it is indeed listening?
> >
> >Well, that didn't get me a listener according to an nmap scan of the
> >odroid server from this machine, after I was logged into the
> >odroid "server" and x was running.
>
> Did you ensure the server is started invoking this file (by startx)?
>     ps aux | grep listen

gene at odroid64:~$ sudo ps aux | grep listen
[sudo] password for gene:

root       797  0.0  1.9 271380 33600 tty7     Ssl+ 20:50
0:02 /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg -core :0 -seat
seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch

gene      4114  0.0  0.0   5564   908 pts/8    S+   23:48   0:00
grep --color=auto listen

The default was changed from listen to nolisten about 18 months back, but
the -listen directive/argument is according to Alan Coopersmith at Xorg,
supposed to over ride it and turn it back on. Methinks the odroid
builders took advantage of that to get rid of 100k of object code.  So I
have challenged the odroid people to actually make it work.

>     nmap -p 6000 <domain>
> should then be open if X runs on display :0
>
> In doubt, start the server by hand "Xorg -listen tcp :0" to test the
> behavior.

That server starts automatically.  No clue it it shut down with
ctl+alt+del.  No, its been hijacked to start a logout session for me.

The line that starts it, xinit/xsessionrc specifically says -listen tcp
as an argument for /usr/bin/X

> Cheers,
> Thomas

Cheers, Gene Heskett