Question about X on the arm's.

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Nov 25 17:32:22 UTC 2016

On 11/21/16 02:41 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I am assuming the X built for it is single threaded, and it could be made
> more pleasant to use if it scattered its jobs about the 4 cores in the
> typical arm cpu.
>
> Is there a build switch that could accomplish this?

No - making the X server fully multi-threaded would be a major rewrite,
not just flipping a build switch.   Past attempts to do so weren't very
successful, as they all ended up bottlenecking on the write lock to the
frame buffer.   Instead things like input processing (previously done
via asynchronous signal handlers) have been moved to other threads, and
a lot of graphics rendering has effectively moved to other threads by
virtue of doing it in client processes instead of in the X server itself.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com