Adding an xserver to xorg.conf?

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Tue Nov 1 04:11:26 UTC 2016

Thanks for this Alan, I can't report success yet, but after trying to build
it but failing to install it, I discovered it's available as a pre-built
package for Ubuntu, and then managed to build an xorg.conf.d entry that
totally trashed my GUI! Ah, thank goodness I always carry a bootable USB
drive for just such emergencies. So, I'll try more with this later (when
it's less critical if I lock myself out more permanently ;)

In the meantime, is there a resource somewhere that might tell me more
about the startup order (which I presume is the purpose of the various
numbers on the individual files in xorg.conf.d...?) and it's significance?
I'm inclined to think that by putting my efforts at "position 20", after
the primary display (at 10) but before all the input devices (at 50
something) I killed all my inputs because I had a bad config element. Is
that plausible? I got a login screen, but no input devices, mouse,
keyboard, external USB mouse / keyboard, touchscreen, would generate any
input (I couldn't even change to the other text-based virtual terminals!)

Thanks again for the direction!

Cheers,
Simon

--