Can I set different DPI for two displays in my system?

Łukasz Maśko ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl
Mon Mar 7 14:20:39 UTC 2016

Hello.
I have a laptop with 12.5" display and FullHD resolution, which means 176dpi
density. I also use, in parallel, another FullHD 21.5" monitor, giving me
almost half of the density as on the main screen. You can easily imagine, that
since DPI is set the same for both screens, the window moved from one screen
to another changes its physical size, which is pretty logical - although a bit
annoying.

Is it possible to configure X in such way, that each screen would work
according to its own, real physical DPI?

I know I can obtain an approximation of the thing I'm talking about if I set
the frambuffer to around 4800x1800 and scale the output to the exterlan
monitor twice:
$ xrandr --fb 4800x1800 --output DP1-3 --scale-from 2880x1800 --output eDP1 --
pos 2880x0
But it looks awfull and is not usable.

PS. My laptop has Intel(R) HD graphics 5500.
--
Łukasz Maśko                                                            _o)
Lukasz.Masko(at)ipipan.waw.pl                                           /\\