xf86-joystick driver

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Jun 9 23:37:59 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 12:17:46AM -0400, Shane Shepherd wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Is there anyway to get an updated xf86-joystick driver that will work on
> Redhat 7.

I'm assuming you mean RHEL, not Red Hat Linux 7?

> I tried recompiling the kernel and anything inside the ".config"
> with the word JOYSTICK in it set to yes or M!!! I can not get the joystick
> module to load successfully in xorg, but I do have the joydev driver
> recognizing the joystick and assigning them in the devices as js0 and js1.
> I just can't load the "joystick" module from xorg it tries to load it and
> says there is a conflict with the API 21 and then unloads the module

if there is an ABI conflict at load-time then you're not compiling against
the correct X server header files. make sure you have xorg-x11-server-devel
installed and you're compiling against those headers.

also note that the xf86 joystick driver doesn't use js0, it uses the evdev
nodes. It's not a joystick driver as such, it's a driver for those that want
to use their joystick as a mouse replacement.

> I tried using evdev as the xorg module to load for my joystick, It
> recognizes the joysticks and loads successfully with xorg , I can see

huh? if you get an ABI mismatch on the module you would get the same ABI
mismatch when running against event nodes. This check is done way before the
driver checks what device it is set up for.

> events for the 8 buttons and values for my 2 AXIS when I run evtest but
> when I try to get the button map for my joystick  "xinput get-button-map"
> gets no buttons found output "evdev" doesn't seem to map the buttons and
> the pointer movement is off. Even though I tried Option
> MapButton1="button1" etc.. in the Input device class.
>
> Sorry I'm not accurate with my error messages I'm doing this from memory.
> Any suggestions would be helpful

best to file a bug, without an Xorg.log it'll be hard to debug any further.

Cheers,
   Peter