Radeon driver not works on PPC with X800

Scott Thompson scottt4 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 7 19:10:13 UTC 2016

On Aug 5, 2016, at 3:49 PM, Thomas Lübking wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 06:06:58PM -0500, Scott Thompson wrote:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/+bug/1609135
>> is that the machine locks up when the display is corrupted so I don't know how to get that information.
>
> ssh/telnet
>
> Otherwise the kernel would have halted and you'd be in deeper
> trouble reg. any investigation on the issue (and likely wrong here ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas

Thanks for the suggestion, however as I tried to indicate in the bug report the machine does in fact lock up and it is
impossible to ssh into it.  I have tried this with 2 different X800 cards with identical results.  The machine boots fine
with a different model of ATI card and occasionally with the X800. I have included a hand transcription from photos I took during the boot process of
the relavent lines.

[drm] Connector Table: 11 (mac x800)
[drm] No TMDS info found in BIOS
[drm] No valid Ext TMDS info found in BIOS
[drm] No TV DAC info found in BIOS
[drm] Radeon Display Connectors
[drm] Connector 0:
[drm]   DVI-I-1
[drm]   HPD1
[drm]   DDC: 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64
[drm]   Encoders:
[drm]     DFF1: INTERNAL_TMDS1
[drm]     CRT1: INTERNAL_DAC1
[drm] Connector 1:
[drm]   DVI-I-2
[drm]   HPD2
[drm]   DDC: 0x68 0x68 0x68 0x68 0x68 0x68 0x68 0x68
[drm]   Encoders:
[drm]     DFF2: INTERNAL_DVO1
[drm]     CRT2: INTERNAL_DAC2
[drm] fb mappable at 0xA0040000
[drm] vram apper at 0xA0000000
[drm] size 5185536
[drm] fb depth is 24
[drm]     pitch is 5760
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 180x56
radeon 0000:f0:10.0: fb0: radeondrmfb frame buffer devices
[drm] Initialized radeon 2.43.0 20080528 for 0000:f0:10.0 on minor 0

Starting Light Display Manager...

( 4 more lines )

( Display clears with, I believe, an underscore character at the top left, the display flashes and then the corruption appears followed by
another flash and similar corruption appearing again.  This is shortly followed by the fans speeding up which indicates the system is frozen )

Regards

Scott Thompson